It is really important for me to be on good terms with my relatives; it’s just how I was raised and therefore prefer it that way. Someone else may hold a different opinion on the same and they may have a good reason for this.
Remember we can choose our friends but not our family and for that reason, family relations is that one area where both of you need to present a united front.
Before agreeing to marry, ensure you have at least 3 separate meetings with his/her parents & siblings.
- Do we like each other’s, parents? Can you strike up a compromise?
- What place does the other’s family play in our family life?
- How often do we visit or socialize together?
- If we have out-of-town relatives, will we ask them to visit us for extended periods? How often?
- Is there any relation of yours you have fallen out with, if so whom and why? (listen to their reasons and be super judgemental, is their reason valid? you decide).